Alexander P. Mathews , Ph.D., P.E.
Office: 2131 Fiedler Hall
- B.S., University of Madras, 1966
- M.S., University of Rhode Island, 1968
- Ph.D., University of Michigan, 1975
Alexander P. Mathews teaches the following courses:
- CE 563: Environmental Engineering Fundamentals
- CE 762: Water Treatment Processes
- CE 861: Environmental Engineering Chemistry
Areas of Research
- Physicochemical processes and their application to the treatment of water, wastewater, sludges and hazardous wastes.
- Bioprocessing for resources recovery.
- Sorption effects on sub-surface contaminant transport.
- In-situ remediation of soils and groundwater
- Two-stage Fermentation of Whey Permeate for Biodegradable Deicer Production, National Science Foundation, 1996-1999, $241,942. PI: A. P. Mathews.
- Analysis of Adsorption in Variable Area Beds for Water and Wastewater Treatment, National Science Foundation, 1995-98, $227,262. PI: A. P. Mathews.
- Fu, W. and A. P. Mathews, Lactic Acid Production from Whey Lactose by Lactobacillus Plantarum: Kinetic Model and Effects of pH, Substrate and Oxygen, Biochemical Engineering Journal, 3355, 1-8, 1999.
- Pota, A. A. and A. P. Mathews, Adsorption Dynamics in a Stratified Convergent Tapered Bed, Chemical Engineering Science, 55(200), 1399-1409, 1999.
- Pota, A. and A. P. Mathews, Effects of Adsorbent Particle Stratification on Fixed-bed Adsorber Performance, Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 125 (8), 705-711, 1999.
- Tapered Bed Apparatus for Fluid-Solid Mass Transfer Operations. Patent No. 5,626,763; Issue Date: May 6, 1997; Inventor: Alexander P. Mathews.
- Process for the Production of Road Deicers from Water Plant Residuals. Patent No. 5,498,362; Issue Date: March 12, 1996; Inventor: Alexander P. Mathews.
- Fermentation Process for the Production of Calcium-Magnesium Road Deicer. Patent No. 5,324,442; Issue date: June 28, 1994; Inventor: Alexander P. Mathews
Institutional & Professional Service
College of Engineering
- Member, Honors and Awards Committee (1998 - )
Department of Civil Engineering
- Member, Equipment Needs Committee
- Member, Fiedler Hall Move Committee
- Undergraduate Advising
- Graduate Student Advisory Committees, Member
- Graduate Student Advisory Committees, Chair Qian Xiaofeng (MS), Han-Il Park (MS), Alok Pota (Ph.D.), Kang Zhengfang (Ph.D.), Li Yonghua (Ph.D.)